Sunday, May 18, 2008

Service Learning ( research)

Mel Chin is the man responsible for the nation wide running fundred dollar bill project. All I know about this man is that he is an artist. From the video I watched including him and his artwork Mel Chin is a very unique artist. When I think of an artist I think of some wierd person who paints or draws amazing pictures or creates murals. Mel Chin's work raises awarness about important issues to him. I do not really know much about him so I deicded to do a little research about Mel Chin's work.

Mel Chin was born in 1951 in Houston, Texas. As a teenager Mel worked in his family’s grocery store, and began making art at an early age. Though he is classically trained, Chin’s art, which is both analytical and poetic, evades easy classification. Alchemy, botany, and ecology are but a few of the disciplines that intersect in his work. Chin's is very unique, he adds his art into unlikely places, including destroyed homes, toxic landfills, and even popular television, investigating how art can provoke greater social awareness and responsibility.



Sources:

www.pbs.org

the-artists.org

No comments: